Popular Posts

Friday, June 3, 2011

Always Flash

Use Flash.

Work it.  When you hand the card to the waiter/waitress, make sure you explain that, if your food comes into contact with any of the items on the list, and you eat it, you will die.  Some form of the word “death” usually catches a server’s attention – you can physically see them perk up, as they listen more intently.  If a server does not seem to understand the gravity of the situation, leave the restaurant.  Earlier on, I paid the price for not having properly gauged a waiter’s lack of concern.

The waiter remembered me from a previous visit, during which, after giving him specific verbal direction (I hadn’t yet devised the flash card strategy), he served my dish with a helping of lettuce on it.  I sent the dish back, explaining that I needed a new meal prepared and that I would need them to put it on a clean plate.  During my second visit, I can only guess that the chef had placed lettuce on my dish, and then removed it after the waiter noticed it.  Unwittingly, I ate dinner, and proceeded to experience part of my anaphylactic reaction on my way home.

Depending on the personalities of the establishment's staff, you might receive the attention of numerous members of the wait staff, management and/or the chef.  I consider this a good sign -- it means that they are giving your requirements due gravity.  They understand that your life hangs in the balance, and that they could be responsible for anything adverse that might occur.  These are the people you want feeding you.

You might also encounter restaurant managers who politely and nervously tell you that they would like you to leave the restaurant, because they are concerned that they will not be able to segregate the preparation of your food perfectly.  This usually follows numerous iterations of questions and answers, and trips to the kitchen.  Use your best judgment to determine whether or not to eat there.

No comments: